Recommendation please: forming an XML toolkit

uche.ogbuji at gmail.com uche.ogbuji at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 17:32:49 EST 2005

*SNIP Long list of possible criteria for chooseing an XML library*

Even with all your personal considerations, there is no one "correct"
answer for you.  I can think of four or five packages that would meet
all your criteria.

You said something quite apt:

"This question is a bit like the ones pertaining to 'Which web
framework
to use?', there is a lot of good stuff out there, and often it boils
down to personnal preference, mind-fitting interface and such..."

I use this comparison myself.  People are used to the incredible
diversity of Web application needs, but for some reason their
imagination tends to flag a bit when it comes to acknowledging the
similar diversity of XML processing needs.  It's a big domain, and you
won't find a universal, one-size-fits-all solution.  That's why I
surprise people by saying I don't have a problem with the fact that
Python bundles at least 4 XML processing libraries, and that there are
at least 30 viable third-party options.

Anyway you go on to say:

"BUT... to make it more precise I will give more context on the future
projects involved... "

I appreciate your effort, but I don't think you succeeded.  With
respect to Web frameworks,  It's easy to some up with a list of even 20
criteria for Python Web frameworks and still wind up with 4-5 fitting
options.  Same thing for XML processing.

You seem to have done a bit of homework with the packages.  I'm sure
you have initial impressions based on that.  If you have specific
outstanding questions, do ask.  If not, I would just take a chance on
whatever your present leaning may be.

--
Uche Ogbuji                               Fourthought, Inc.
http://uche.ogbuji.net                    http://fourthought.com