wxPython Licence vs GPL

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sat Nov 26 18:18:44 EST 2005

Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au> writes:
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 04:46:15 -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
>> Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au> writes:
>>> But if you *do* redistribute it, then you must live up to conditions in
>>> the licence. If you aren't willing to do that, use software with a
>>> different licence.
>> That's a restriction on redistribution.
> ALL licences make that "restriction". There is no licence that allows you
> to distribute the product in contradiction to the terms of the licence.

True. Some license have terms which don't place any restrictions on
redistribution. The GPL is *not* such a license - it places
restrictions on the redistribution. Which is what I said in the first
place.

>>> The only restriction is that you can't give those people fewer, weaker
>>> rights than you got
>> That's a restriction on redistribution.
> Well now we're getting somewhere.
> That's a restriction

Which is exactly what I said in the first place that you disagreed
with.

> that actually *increases* freedom so I don't see it as a restriction
> at all -- I see it as something that enables rather than disables.

So that's the basis of the disagreement. I'm using "restriction" with
the intent of communicating it's normal english meaning, and you're
using it with the intent of making a political statement. When you say
"restriction", you mean "restriction that I think of as bad". If
you're willing to do that, proprietary commercial software has no
restriction on redistribution.

         <mike