Estimating memory use?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Nov 27 09:06:25 EST 2005

I've got a large text processing task to attack (it's actually a genomics
task; matching DNA probes against bacterial genomes).  I've got roughly
200,000 probes, each of which is a 25 character long text string.  My first
thought is to compile these into 200,000 regexes, but before I launch into
that, I want to do a back of the envelope guess as to how much memory that
will take.

Is there any easy way to find out how much memory a Python object takes?
If there was, it would be simple to compile a random small collection of
these patterns (say, 100 of them), and add up the sizes of the resulting
regex objects to get a rough idea of how much memory I'll need.  I realize
I could just compile them all and watch the size of the Python process
grow, but that seems somewhat brute force.