Learning multiple languages (question for general discussion)

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Sun Nov 6 14:56:40 EST 2005

Paul Rubin wrote:
> "Diez B. Roggisch" <deets at nospam.web.de> writes:
>
>>It's a great book - I cetainly owe it the better part of my thesis
>>about multi level specification for functional languages. If you want
>>to understand type-systems, its a great comprehensive read.
>

> So do I really want to understand type systems?  I mean, I think I
> understand Haskell types from reading the manual, but probably not at
> the level of that TAPL book.  Am I going to find out anything
> important as an implementer?

I don't know what you want to understand - I never learned a language by
a book, if it's that what you want to know

But to understand type systems in detail, compare them and know their
limits will certainly make you a better programmer I guess - and
especially in functional languages,as these are more or  less built
around their type-systems.

Regards,

Diez