Learning multiple languages (question for general discussion)

Jeremy Greenwald jgreenwald78 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 3 18:42:54 EST 2005

I would say that learning a few languages is necessary
to realizing what type of things different languages
excel at.  For instance I didn't understand why java
would never allocate objects on the stack until I read
about using object pointers in C++ to lower
compilation dependecies.  This helped me to understand
the trade-offs involved.  I also used to like perl
until I got to know Pythons compactness (perl sucks by
the way).

 On a broader stroke, learning a language is NOT about
 learning the syntax (although that is a requirement)
 it is about learning that languages style, coding
 practices and what API's are useful in your domain.
 That should be your guide as to when you have
 "learned" a language, when you can answer more
 questions than you have about a language's style,
 coding practices, and API.

--
Jeremy Greenwald