Why are there no ordered dictionaries?

Christoph Zwerschke cito at online.de
Tue Nov 22 04:06:07 EST 2005

Bengt Richter schrieb:
> Ok, so if not in the standard library, what is the problem? Can't find what
> you want with google and PyPI etc.? Or haven't really settled on what your
> _requirements_ are? That seems to be the primary problem people who complain
> with "why no sprollificator mode?" questions.

What I don't understand is why legitimate questions such as "why are
there no ordered dictionaries" are immediately interpreted as
*complaints* and not just as questions. If I ask such a question, I am
not complaining but trying to simply figure out *why* there is no such
thing. Probably there are reasons and all I want to know is find these
reasons and learn a little bit more about Python in doing so.

Why can't such questions be discussed in a factual, calm and friendly way?

 > They don't know what they really mean when it comes down to a DYFR
 > (Define Your Felicitous Requirements) challenge.

I don't think that this was true in this case, and even if this is the
outcome, those who asked the question will have learned something.

I think a discussion group is not there for only presenting mature,
sophisticated thoughts and concepts, but also for "thinking loud"
together with other about these issues. We all know that clarifying our
thoughts works often best if you discuss them with others. And I think
that's one purpose of discussion lists. Asking questions should not be
immediately be discouraged, even silly questions. If it is really a FAQ,
you can simply point to the FAQ or add the answer in the FAQ list if it
is missing there.

-- Chris