Newb ??

Chad Everett everettcc at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 8 21:58:30 EST 2005

Hi all,  I am new to the group.  Trying to learn Python programming on my
own.  I am working through Michael Dawson's Book Python Programming for the
absolute beginner.

I am tring to write a program that is a number guessing game.  I want to be
able to give the user 5 tries to guess the number before the program ends.

I get the result that I want when the user misses after the 5th try.  But it
does not go down to my closing statement to end.  Rather is askes for
another guess.

I appreciate any help you can give.  If  this is not the correct group for
these types of questions, I apologize and hope that you can direct me to
another NG.

Thanks,
Chad

import random

print "\tWelcome to 'Guess my Number'!"
print "\nI'm Thinking of a Number between 1 and 100."
print "\nTry to Guess it in as few attempts as possible.\n"

#Set the initial values
the_number = random.randrange(100) + 1
guess = int(raw_input("Take a guess:"))
tries = 1

#Guessing Loop

while (guess != the_number):
    if (guess >the_number):
        print "Lower..."
    else:
        print "Higher..."
    guess = int(raw_input("Take another Guess:"))
    tries +=1
    if tries == 5:
 print "Sorry you lose."
 print "The Correct Number was ", the_number

print "You guess correctly!!"
print "The number was:", the_number
print "You got it correct in", tries, "tries"

raw_input("Press Enter to exit the program")