Making a persistent HTTP connection

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Fri Nov 18 07:38:18 EST 2005

>AK> http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec8.html#sec8.1

>AK> Some HTTP 1.0 clients supported persistent connections through the use
>AK> of the non-standard "keep-alive" header.

>>> And even if it works - what is the problem with connections being created?

>AK> The URL above describes the benefits of persistent connections. The
>AK> primary problem of the old style of one-request-per-connection is the
>AK> creation of more sockets than are necessary.

Maybe even more important (and just briefly mentioned in the section
referred to above) is the latency introduced by the TCP setup and the slow
startup phase of TCP's congestion control. This calculation is one of the
exercises the students have to make in my networks class.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>
Private email: piet at vanoostrum.org