Suggestion for (re)try statement

Rocco Moretti roccomoretti at hotpop.com
Wed Nov 2 16:29:50 EST 2005

Sori Schwimmer wrote:
> 0) Sorry, I don't know how to post a reply in the same
> thread.

Usually it is simply hitting the "Reply" button/link/key combination on
your mail/news reader when the post you want to reply to in view. (If
you want reply to multiple people, you can always reply to the original
post, or reply to one, and just treat the topics from all of them.)

> 2) Rocco Morreti wrote:

First off, let me say that my message wasn't meant to scare you off - it
was constructive criticism, appraising you of what would be necessary if
you actually want the construct in the language. If you're just shooting
the breeze/navel gazing, I apologize for harshing your cool.

>>What is so repugnant about the equivalent, currently
>>valid way of writing it?
 >
> Nothing "repugnant".

"Repugnant" was probably too strong a word. The point I was trying to
make was: If you want such a construct added to the language, you need
to justify all the hassle & effort of introducing the new syntax. Given
that there is a way to accomplish the same thing now, you would need to
show that your way is not just as good, but better than the current way.

> It's all about convenience, not about
> getting to bare bone equivalents.

Nothing wrong with convenience - you just have to show that the
convenience would be used often enough to justify the hassle. It'd be
awfully convenient to have a passenger jet parked in your garage - but
you probably wouldn't use it frequently enough to justify the expense of
maintaining, fueling, and licensing it.

>> And remember - your goal isn't ultimately to
>> convince me or someother
>> person on comp.lang.python, it's to convince Guido
>
> I'm not trying to convince anybody. In the democratic
> state-of-mind in which I live, the idea will be taken
> in consideration if it is found useful by many, not by
> one, even if the one is the almighty Guido.

My comment made with the assumption that you were trying to actively
promote the construct, rather than floating it as a trial balloon. I was
aiming at keeping you from getting annoyed later on when your petition
with hundreds of signatures gets shot down by Guido. Despite your
state-of-mind, in practicality, Python is not a democracy - language
constructs live or die by the will of Guido. If you actually want the
construct in the language, a comp.lang.python plebiscite isn't going to
do it - you'll need to convince the BDFL that it's a good idea. Now,
Guido isn't totally ambivalent to the masses - if a large number of
people are for it, there's a good chance Guido will be for it too. But
you're not aiming for a popularity contest - what'll convince people
(including Guido) is good arguments as to *why this construct is better
than what we have now,* and *why it will be worth the hassle of
implementing and maintaining it*.