append to non-existing list

Yves Glodt y.glodt at sitasoftware.lu
Thu Nov 10 04:46:46 EST 2005

bruno at modulix wrote:
> Yves Glodt wrote:
> (snip)
>> ok I see your point, and python's...
>>
>> (just FYI, and not to start a flamewar ;-):
>> In php, the [] means "append to an array object".
>
> yes, I know this.
>
>> If the array does not exist yet, it's created.
>
> Which is what I don't like. It should crash.
>
>> [] *is* explicit for
>> arrays,
>
> IIRC, you can also use it to sbscript strings, but I wouldn't bet my
> life on this.
>
>> thus for php it's clear what you want.)
>
> Nope. You may be in the case where you think the array already exists,
> and then you (well, I at least...) would prefer that PHP don't try to
> second-guess you... If and when I want to create an object, I tell it.
> If I dont tell "create me an array", I don't want one to come in existence.

<not adding fuel to language flamewar>

> (snip)
>> an "undefined" notice, yes, not a warning... ;-)
>>
> (snip)
>> Ok... I thank you for all the explanations.
>>
>> It helps me to see more far. I (and will continue to) use php for web,
>> and wanna standardize on python for all non-web stuff we are doing,
>
> You might discover that Python is just great for web programming too !-)

Which raises another question... :-)

Is there a possibility to bring together apache and python in a way that
I can embed python into html?

Or even, write a smallish webserver in python (using twisted maybe)
whose only purpose is to serve pages and execute the embedded code...?

>> so I
>> might be a frequent guest on this list...
>
> You're welcome !-)
> And if you're a french speaker, there's also french-speaking mailing
> list and newsgroups.

Merci pour l'info, I am, but for now the volume of this list is enough
for me ... :-)