Class Variable Access and Assignment

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Fri Nov 4 03:35:28 EST 2005

Op 2005-11-03, Magnus Lycka schreef <lycka at carmen.se>:
> Antoon Pardon wrote:

>>>There is also a third fix: understand Python's OO model, especially
>>>inheritance, so that normal behaviour no longer surprises you.
>>

>> No matter wat the OO model is, I don't think the following code
>> exhibits sane behaviour:
>>
>> class A:
>>   a = 1
>>
>> b = A()
>> b.a += 2
>> print b.a
>> print A.a
>>
>> Which results in
>>
>> 3
>> 1
>
> On the other hand:

> ...     a = [1]
> [1, 2]
> [1, 2]
>
> I can understand that Guido was a bit reluctant to introduce
> += etc into Python, and it's important to understand that they
> typically behave differently for immutable and mutable objects.

All fine by me. I won't be using python any less because of this,
because I use class variable very little and you can avoid this
problem by avoiding instance that shadow class variables and
always refer to class variables by class name.

But that doesn't mean we should consider this kind of behaviour
as it should be, just because it is in python.

--
Antoon Pardon