Cmd Module

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Nov 23 03:21:59 EST 2005

Godwin Burby wrote:

>         I was just curious about using the cmd module for building my
> own command line interface. i saw a problem. The script is as follows:

it helps if you include the code you were running, instead of some
approximation of it.

  File "test", line 10
    if passwd = 'godwin': print "You are a valid user"
              ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 4, in ?
NameError: name 'cmd' is not defined

> The interpreter reports that the first argument to super should be a
> type rather than a class object and for the do_login function it says
> that function needs only one argument but two are given. I solved the
> above errors by adding the following code:
>
> Cmd.__init__(self)
>
> def do_login(self,passwd='godwin')
>
> But i know that my first code should work without any problems or is
> there a problem with it.

super() only works for new-style classes.

the second argument problem is because do_ methods are called with
a second argument:

    >>> import cmd
    >>> help(cmd)
    Help on module cmd:
    3. A command `foo' is dispatched to a method 'do_foo()'; the do_ method
       is passed a single argument consisting of the remainder of the line.

(if you type "login", you get an empty string.  if you type "login foo", you get
the string "foo".  etc).

</F>