Python Book

Stuart McGraw smcg4191zz at friizz.RimoovAllZZs.com
Sun Nov 13 17:02:07 EST 2005

David Beasley's Essential Python (New Riders).  It's a little dated
now (covers only up to version 2.2) but lucid, consise, well organized.
It restricts itself to Python's syntax and semantics and does not waste
time explaining basic programming concepts.

I made several attempts to learn Python but found the Python docs
pretty poor, and the tutorial books I looked at were incredibly ponderous
and slow.  It wasn't until I got Beasley's book that I could actual find
info effectively enough to start actually writing Python code.  I still most
often refer to it in preference to the Python docs.