Goto XY

Chris F.A. Johnson cfajohnson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 22:33:47 EST 2005

On 2005-11-09, ale.of.ginger at gmail.com wrote:
> Is there some command in python so that I can read a key's input and
> then use a gotoxy() function to move the cursor on screen?  e.g.:
> (psuedo-code)

    You can use curses, but that may be more trouble than it's worth.

    If you don't mind limiting your program to an ANSI-type terminals
    (vt100, xterm, rxvt, linux, putty, etc....), then you can just use
    the codes to position the cursor:

ESC = '\033'
CSI = ESC + "["

def printat(row,col,arg=""):
    sys.stdout.write( CSI + str(row) + ";" + str(col) + 'H' + str(arg))

> When the right arrow is pushed, cursor gotoxy(x+1,y)

     To read a single keystroke, see Claudio Grondi's post in the
     thread "python without OO" from last January.

     Function and cursor keys return more than a single character, so
     more work is required to decode them. The principle is outlined in
     <http://www.unixreview.com/documents/s=9920/ur0511a/ur0511a.html>;
     the code there is for the shell, but translating them to python
     should be straightforward. I'll probably do it myself when I have
     the time or the motivation.

--
  Chris F.A. Johnson                   | Author:
  <http://cfaj.freeshell.org>          |      Shell Scripting Recipes: