Inserting Records into SQL Server - is there a faster interface than ADO

geskerrett at hotmail.com geskerrett at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 14 09:02:02 EST 2005

The utility is designed to run in the background and maintain/update a
parallel copy of a production system database.   We are using the
stored procedure to do a If Exist, update, else Insert processing for
each record.

The originating database is a series of keyed ISAM files.  So we need
to read each record, perform some simple data conversions and then
update the SQL database.  We are using Python to read the originating
database and perform the record conversion and then posting the results
back to SQL Server.

We designed our utility to run a night so that the SQL server is up to
date the next day and ready for reporting.

Thanks for your tips on BCP.  I will investigate further as it looks
like it might be useful for the initial loading of the data and perhaps
some changes to the our utility program to minimize the amount of data
that needs to be read/processed.

Geoff.