Whitespace test after string.split

David Pratt fairwinds at eastlink.ca
Sat Nov 26 09:56:26 EST 2005

Hi.  I am splitting a string on a non whitespace character. One or more
whitespace characters can be returned as items in the list. I do not
want the items in the list that are only whitespace (can be one or more
characters of whitespace) and plan to use string.strip on those items
that are not only whitespace (to remove any whitespace from front or
back of items).

What kind of efficient test can I use to obtain only list items
returned from the split that I am interested in, ignoring any list
items that would only be comprised of one or more characters of
whitespace (since whitespace can mean one or more spaces, tabs, and
other characters)

As a second question, I am seeing string split as deprecated in 2.4.2
manual.  What is planned in future to split (strings or unicode)?

Regards,
David