defining the behavior of zip(it, it) (WAS: Converting a flat list...)

rhettinger at gmail.com rhettinger at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 11:53:41 EST 2005

[Steven Bethard]
> >Then why document itertools.izip() as it is?  The documentation there is
> >explicit enough to know that izip(it, it) will work as intended.  Should
> >we make the documentation there less explicit to discourage people from
> >using the izip(it, it) idiom?

[Dave Hansen]
> In any case, the solution seems obvious: if you want the guarantee,
> use the tool that provides it.

True enough :-)

FWIW, the itertools documentation style was intended more as a learning
device than as a specification.  I combined regular documentation,
approximately equivalent generator code, examples, and recipes.
Hopefully, reading the module docs creates an understanding of what the
tools do, how to use them, how to combine them, and how to roll your
own to extend the toolset.  Another goal was providing code fragments
to support scripts needing to run on Py2.2 (itertools were introduced
in Py2.3).

Raymond