Why are there no ordered dictionaries?

bonono at gmail.com bonono at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 19:09:35 EST 2005

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> but you can easily generate an index when you need it:
>
>     index = dict(d)
>
>     name, type = index["pid"]
>     print name
>
> the index should take less than a microsecond to create, and since it
> points to the members of the original dict, it doesn't use much memory
> either...

Using the same logic, we don't need types other than string in a  DBMS
as we can always convert a string field into some other types when it
is needed.

Of course there are more than one way to skin a cat(well it may be
against the general idiom of python) but in some situation certain way
is preferred.