sqlite utf8 encoding error

Jarek Zgoda jzgoda at o2.usun.pl
Thu Nov 17 15:08:45 EST 2005

Fredrik Lundh napisał(a):

>>UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode bytes in position 13-18:
>>unsupported Unicode code range
>>
>>does anyone have any idea on what could be going wrong?  The string
>>that I store in the database table is:
>>
>>'Keinen Text für Übereinstimmungsfehler gefunden'
>
> $ more test.py
> # -*- coding: iso-8859-1 -*-
> u = u'Keinen Text für Übereinstimmungsfehler gefunden'
> s = u.encode("iso-8859-1")
> u = s.decode("utf-8") # <-- this gives an error
>
> $ python test.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "test.py", line 4, in ?
>     u = s.decode("utf-8") # <-- this gives an error
>   File "lib/encodings/utf_8.py", line 16, in decode
>     return codecs.utf_8_decode(input, errors, True)
> UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode bytes in position 13-18:
> unsupported Unicode code range

I cann't wait for the moment when encoded strings go away from Python.
The more I program in this language, the more confusion this difference
is causing. Now most of functions and various object's methods accept
strings and unicode, making it hard to find sources of Unicode*Errors.

--
Jarek Zgoda
http://jpa.berlios.de/