General question about Python design goals

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Mon Nov 28 10:29:02 EST 2005

Antoon Pardon wrote:

> No I gave an example, you would implement differently. But even
> if you think my example is bad, that would make it a bad argument
> for tuples having list methods. That is not the same as being
> a good argument against tuples having list methods.

Tuples don't have list methods, therefore any code which seems to require a
tuple with list methods should make you stop and consider whether your
design is wrong. Your example made me consider your design was wrong. If
tuples did have list methods you would have gone ahead with a poor design.

That is why I said that, to me, it is an argument against giving tuples the
additional methods. It is a fairly weak argument though, so if you do have
some other use case you could easily prove me wrong.