Why are there no ordered dictionaries?

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Wed Nov 23 04:24:46 EST 2005

bonono at gmail.com wrote:
> Steve Holden wrote:
> > Perhaps now the answer top your question is more obvious: there is by no
> > means universal agreement on what an "ordered dictionary" should do.
> > Given the ease with which Python allows you to implement your chosen
> > functionality it would be presumptuous of the core developers to favour
> > any one of the several reasonable alternatives that might be chosen.
> >
> It seems to be though as "ordered dictionary" are slowly to be confined
> to only "ordered on order of change to the dictionary".

While I'm only +0 for a standard odict I'm wondering that discussing
this topic leads to the auctoritative conclusion that it is unsolvable,
we have to accept infinite diversity etc. where people like me seeing a
classification immediately ( mathematical education? ) . Of course this
matter is trivial but we already know about monster-threads revolving
around decorator syntax ( including hurt souls and semi-scientific
papers ) and abandoning the print statement in Python 3.0.