installing PygreSQL and psychopg2 modules (a newbie question)

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Nov 4 00:26:25 EST 2005

Zlatko Matić wrote:
> Hello.
> I was trying to install PygreSQL and psychopg2 in order to use python as front-end for PostgreSQL, on WIndows XP.
> When I tried to install by calling setup.py from command prompt ("setup.py install"), in both cases I had the same error:
>
> "error: Python was built with version 7.1 of Visual Studio, and extensions need to be built with the same version of the compiler, but it isn't installed."
>
> It looks like this:
> "C:\Downloads\Python\psychopg\psycopg2-2.0b5\psycopg2-2.0b5>setup.py install
> running install
> running build
> running build_py
> running build_ext
> building 'psycopg2._psycopg' extension
> error: Python was built with version 7.1 of Visual Studio, and extensions
> need t
> o be built with the same version of the compiler, but it isn't installed.
>
> C:\Downloads\Python\psychopg\psycopg2-2.0b5\psycopg2-2.0b5>pause
> Press any key to continue . . ."
>
> What does it mean ? What am I supposed to do?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Zlatko

I recently installed psycopg2 - is this the same package you wanted?

If so, Google for "psycopg2-2.0b4-pre4.win32-py2.4.exe", which is a
pre-bult binary installer (though the version I picked up wasn't able to
handle mx.datetime objects, this shouldn't be a problem unless you have
other modules that generate them).

Never used PygreSQL, so can;t help there (though you might try a similar
trick and Googal for "PygreSQL Windows installer", say).

If you look at

   http://www.holdenweb.com/Python/

you'll find a link to Mike Fletcher's page describing how you can
install and use the free Microsoft toolchain to compile extension
modules so they will be compatible wiht the Python installed by the
Windows installer from python.org.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119