return in loop for ?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Thu Nov 24 10:17:45 EST 2005

"bonono at gmail.com" <bonono at gmail.com> wrote:
> Interestingly, I just saw a thread over at TurboGears(or is it this
> group, I forgot) about this multiple return issue and there are people
> who religiously believe that a function can have only one exit point.
>
> def f():
>   r = None
>   for i in range(20):
>   if i > 10:
>     r = 10
>     break
>   if r is None: something
>   else: return r

"Single entrance, single exit" is a philosophy (religion?) that's been
around for a while.  The basic thought is that every code block should have
a single entrance and a single exit.

Back in the dark old days of gotos, there was a lot of spaghetti code
written with gotos jumping all over the place, even in and out of the
middle of loops.  Then, in 1968, Dijkstra wrote his famous "Go To Statement
Considered Harmful" (http://www.acm.org/classics/oct95/) which spawned the
whole structured programming concept, and SESE is the logical outgrowth of
that.

The problem with SESE is that if you follow it strictly, you end up with
things like the example given above where you have to invent some temporary
variable, and an extra test at the end of the loop.  The cure is worse than
the disease.

In any case, in a language which has exceptions, it's almost impossible to
really have true SESE, since an exception could be thrown from almost
anywhere.  To be fair, there are those who use this to argue that
exceptions themselves are a bad thing.  In my last job, the official style
guide said to not use exceptions in C++ because they generate confusing
flow of control, but I think that's becomming the minority view these days.