Using Which Version of Linux

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sat Nov 5 18:30:33 EST 2005

On 2005-11-05, Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:

> "Programmer-friendly" is pretty vague. Gentoo is the only Linux distro
> I've run into (which excludes a *lot* of Unix distros) that I'd
> consider programmer friendly, because it doesn't split packages up
> into "user stuff" and "developer stuff". That means you have to
> install two packages instead of one if you want to build things
> against that software. On the other hand, it uses it's own "package"
> manager - emerge - so you can't take advantage of rpms/debs from other
> systems (or you couldn't last time I looked into it). It also installs
> the least amount of "bundled" software, which I consider a programmer
> friendly behavior.

I just switched one of my computers to gentoo, and I like it a
lot.  It's very no-nonsense, but there are alot of available
packages and everything (so far) just works.  However, it's not
for the impatient (or at least not for the poor and impatient).
Since it compiles packages from source, a full-featured desktop
install on a slow machine can take days to finish.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  if it GLISTENS,
                                  at               gobble it!!