gmpy 1.01 rc near... anybody wanna test>

casevh at comcast.net casevh at comcast.net
Wed Nov 9 01:18:32 EST 2005

Alex Martelli wrote:
> <casevh at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > Everything works fine with v1.16. I'm sure I was doing something wrong.
> > I shouldn't be testing that late at night. ;-)
> >
> > It looks like the warning about "tp_compare" has been fixed.
>
> I didn't touch tp_compare specifically, so the fix must have been a side
> effect (?).
>

> > I will try to build a version for Windows, but that may take me a day
> > or two.
>
> Great, pls let me know when you do (particularly if you're willing to
> make your build available to others -- if you send it to me I can make
> it downloadable from sourceforge).
>

> > Thanks for the updates to gmpy!
>
> You're welcome, and thank YOU for the feedback &c.
>

> Alex
I made a successful installer for Windows using Mingw32 and Python 2.4.
I needed to edit setup.py to list gmp as a required library.

if sys.version.find('MSC')==-1:
    gmpy_ext = Extension('gmpy', sources=['src/gmpy.c'],
        # library_dirs=['/usr/local/lib'],
        libraries=['gmp'])
else:
    gmpy_ext = Extension('gmpy', sources=['src/gmpy.c'],
        include_dirs=['./src'],
        libraries=['gmp'])    # I added libraries!

Will you be updating the information in setup.py file?

Tomorrow, I'll recreate my build process on another computer. I am
willing to create Windows installers.

Which versions of Python do you want to support?

Do you want versions that include GMP tailored for specific processors?

With GMP 4.1.4 compiled for pentium3, and running on a 1.8Ghz Pentium
M, I'm able to calculate the decimal form of 2^25964951 (the 43rd
Mersenne prime) in 10 seconds. The prior gmpy release takes just over
14 seconds. Without gmpy, Python takes 25.4 seconds. On an Athlon
MP2800+ (2.133Ghz) with GMP compiled for that processor, I can do it in
6.6 seconds using gmpy and 22.4 seconds without gmpy. I'm working with
blocks of 1000 digits and using a combination of Toom-Cook and
Nussbaumer convolution to perform the multiplies and squares.

I did very that the tp_compare errors are fixed. I removed the warnings
filter in my code and the warning did occur with the old gmpy but did
not occur with my version.

Case