Why are there no ordered dictionaries?

Christoph Zwerschke cito at online.de
Sun Nov 20 07:47:05 EST 2005

This is probably a FAQ, but I dare to ask it nevertheless since I
haven't found a satisfying answer yet: Why isn't there an "ordered
dictionary" class at least in the standard list? Time and again I am
missing that feature. Maybe there is something wrong with my programming
style, but I rather think it is generally useful.

I fully agree with the following posting where somebody complains why so
very basic and useful things are not part of the standard library:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/e652d2f771a49857

Are there plans to get it into the standard lib sometime?

-- Christoph