.pth - howto?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Nov 17 23:16:30 EST 2005

flippetigibbet wrote:
> I've tried specifying the .pth file with
> r'\documents and settings\user\My Documents\my\scripts\py\dirname'
> \DOCUME~1\user\MyDocu~1\my\scripts\py\dirname
> /doceme~1/user/MYDOCU~1/MY/SCRIPTS/PY/DIRNAME
> but I can't seem to get python 2.4 to pick up an absolute path on
> windows.

Does that directory actually exist?  It won't get added if it doesn't
exist.  You can also just trace through the source in "site.py" as it
loads (by inserting an "import pdb; pdb.set_trace()" near the top), or
add some print statements at key points to see what it's doing.

(Note that your first example above definitely wouldn't work, since that
is the syntax for a string in Python source, whereas the relevant
function [i.e. addpackage()] is merely reading lines from a file...)

-Peter