problem generating rows in table

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Nov 7 23:59:20 EST 2005

s99999999s2003 at yahoo.com wrote:
> hi
> i wish to generate a table using cgi
> toprint = [('nickname', 'justme', 'someplace')]
> print '''<table  border="1">
>       '''
>
> for i in range(0,len(toprint)-1):
>   for j in range(0,len(toprint[0])-1):
>     print "<td> %s </td>" % toprint[i][j]
>
> print '''</tr>
>
> but it only prints out a table with "User | Name | address"
> it didn't print out the values of toprint
>
> is there mistake in code? please advise
> thanks

Your problem is in trying to emulate the C looping structures rather
than using those native to Python: the toprint list has only one
element, and the range computations suffer from out-by-one errors,
leaving you iterating zero times!

It might be simpler to build the output as follows:

print '''<table  border="1">
       '''
rows = []
for row in toprint:
     print "  <tr>"
     for cell in row:
         print "    <td>%s</td>" % cell
     print "  </tr>"
print "</table>"

Of course you should really be ensuring that the cell contents correctly
escape any special characters in the cell content (such as turning "<"
into "<") but I'll leave that as an exercise.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119