creating package question

Micah Elliott mde at micah.elliott.name
Wed Nov 16 15:29:12 EST 2005

On Nov 16, erick_bodine at comcast.net wrote:
> I have a package directory structure as follows
>
> root-
>     Common (contains __init__.py file)
>     WindowsComponents (contains __init__.py file)
>
> I would like modules in the WindowsComponents directory to be able
> to import some modules from the Common directory.

So you now have a "Common" package.  And it might contain a "mustard"
module.

> In my first pass, I was able to append sys.path (
> sys.path.append('../Common') ) in each module that wants to import
> from Common, but this feels "clunky".

Agreed.  You probably want to avoid messing with sys.path whenever
possible.

> Is there a "standard"/"best" way to accomplish this?

So "root" should already be on your sys.path/PYTHONPATH.

Then in say file "root/WindowsComponents/spam.py":

    from Common import mustard
    mustard.attr

More import info from Fredrik:
http://effbot.org/zone/import-confusion.htm