Where can I find string.translate source?

bobueland at yahoo.com bobueland at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 20 02:38:11 EST 2005

The module string has a function called translate. I tried to find the
source code for that function.  In:

    C:\Python24\Lib

there is one file called

    string.py

I open it and it says

"""A collection of string operations (most are no longer used).
Warning: most of the code you see here isn't normally used nowadays.
Beginning with Python 1.6, many of these functions are implemented as
methods on the standard string object. They used to be implemented by
a built-in module called strop, but strop is now obsolete itself."""

Inside the file string.py I couldn't find the source code for
translate. Where could it be?