Microsoft Hatred FAQ

John W. Kennedy jwkenne at attglobal.net
Wed Nov 2 22:20:05 EST 2005

entropy wrote:
> steve at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au wrote...

>>>Nitpick: MS-DOS first appeared in 1981.
>>
>>[slaps head]
>>
>>Of course it did.
>

> The first thing I ever bought of Microsoft's, in 1982 or so, was a
> CP/M board for my Apple IIe.
>
> CP/M, whose programmers to this day defend sticking with 8-bit CPUs
> because 'they can't find a 4-bit chip they like'.  Yeah, there's some
> desktop innovation for you.
>
> OS/2 1.0 was released in 1987, but the "selling" of it started in
> 1985 or so by IBM and Microsoft.  It was a 286 OS.

Only to the extent that IBM promised a protected-mode operating system
in 1984, when the PC-AT came out.

> IBM seems to have had a history of squeezing out competition in the
> same way Microsoft has, if I recall correctly.

IBM was genuinely innovative, and did their best to provide value for
money. Microsoft hasn't been able to produce anything but me-too
products since the 80's. (Multiplan, Word for DOS, the QBASIC engine,
early sponsorship of mouses, and the gutsy decision to morph MS-DOS 1.0,
a CP/M quasi-clone, into DOS 2.0, a Unix quasi-clone, are about all I
can give them credit for.)

--
John W. Kennedy
"Those in the seat of power oft forget their failings and seek only the