wxPython Licence vs GPL

Martin P. Hellwig mhellwig at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 24 03:51:52 EST 2005

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
<cut>
> I'm FREE to use the software, FREE to redistribute it, FREE to give it
> away, FREE to make derivative works, FREE to transfer the licence, *and*
> I got it FREE of cost as well, but that doesn't make it free.

Indeed, when I explain GPL to non-techies and what their (RMS)
interpretation of free software is I usually ask first if they know what
  IP (Intellectual Property not Internet Protocol) is and what the
difference is between that and other legals stuff like Copyright and
Trademarks.

Then I make sure we have the same definition about Software and what I
mean with the word Public in the context of software.

After that I define GPL as:
Obligatory Public Intellectual Property Software

If the non-techie is still interested, I'll rave on about that I
understand why GPL is a good way to ensure availability of IP especially
if the software is a collaborated effort in the academic scene.
And that I probably use that if I made software for my employer (a
Foundation founded by multiple High-Schools) but that deeply personal
I'll stick to the beerware license, because I fully agree on PHK license
vision.

--
mph