weakrefs to functions for observer pattern

Michael Schneider michaelschneider at fuse.net
Thu Nov 3 09:55:06 EST 2005

Alex Martelli wrote:
> Michael Schneider <michaelschneider at fuse.net> wrote:
>

>>I would like to use weak refs in an observer pattern implementation.
>>The problme that I have seems to be that weakrefs can't manage functions.
>

> They can manage just fine functions written in *Python*, just not
> "builtin functions*, i.e., ones written in *C*.  Just wrap any builtin
> function you need to register as observer into a tiny Python-coded
> wrapper and live happily ever after.
>
>>Not all objects can be weakly referenced; those objects which can
>>include class instances, functions written in Python (but not in C),
>

> Alex
Alex,

Thank you, I mis-read the docs.

The mistake I  made was having was using a weak reference as a key in
the dictionary.

Weak references will be very useful for me.

I really enjoy python.  So many good things have been added to the
language without taking the fun away :-)

Mike

--
The greatest performance improvement occurs on the transition of from
the non-working state to the working state.