Which License Should I Use?

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sat Nov 26 05:05:42 EST 2005

Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> writes:
> Simply assuming that because you have developed the code "in your own
> time" you have sole rights to it, or even a right to redistribute, is
> likely to lead to trouble and I would recommend against that course of
> action.

The employment agreement may state specifically that the company owns
such properties. There have been companies that explicitly claim all
software/inventions/etc that you produce while in their employee, even
if they had nothing to do with said IP. Some jurisdictions make this
illegal - but that doesn't stop the company from trying to convince
you they can do that.

But this cuts both ways - if you get them to agree in writing as part
of the employment agreement that the code isn't there, which Steve
suggested, then laws about "work for hire" are pretty much
irrelevant.

        <mike