Web-based client code execution

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 18:24:07 EST 2005

On 11/18/05, Paul Watson <pwatson at redlinepy.com> wrote:
> Steve wrote:
> > AJAX works because browsers can execute javascript.  I don't know of a
> > browser that can execute python.  Basically your stuck with java or
> > javascript because everything else really isn't cross platform.
>
> Well, I guess the Grail browser could run Python, but I do not think I
> can go there.
>
> I need READ access to the users local disk storage.  Can I do this in
> Javascript, or should I bite the bullet and turn to ActiveX?

This can only be done with scripts by disabling or bypassing browser
security restrictions. It can't even be done by zone in IE, only
globally, and I don't know if you can do it at all in Mozilla based
browsers.

A signed activex control or Java Applet (that registers for the
appropriate sandbox permissions) will work.

Overall, it's probably simplest not to do any of these and simply
write a standard application that you have users download and run.
This is the safest and most straightforward solution, and honestly
what you save in configuration managment when people call you
wondering why it doesn't work is probably worth the extra effort it
takes them to actually run your application.