wxPython Licence vs GPL

Martin P. Hellwig mhellwig at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 24 14:23:57 EST 2005

Mike Meyer wrote:
<cut>

> Is that software really unavailable, or just unavailable for free? If
> the latter, then it's not unavailabe. If the former, the it didn't
> become unavailable, as it was never available in the first place.
> In the latter case, you could also use those examples to similarly
> "prove" that non-GPL'ed software is a "good way to ensure the
> availability of IP", as the developers of those IPs obviously felt
> that the ability to restrict distribution in some way was needed to
> make the effort of developing and distributing the software in the
> first place worthwhile.

I agree that your opinions are based on a valid points, however, not
available for free means it has a price tag, which means that a normal
'small' price tag for western society excludes +75% of the world
population for that product (sure most of them don't want/need it
anyway, what good is software without hardware).

Those who can not afford the software are excluded for that end product
even though they may have worked on the source where 99,99% of the
restricted licensed software is based on.

However I make a poor defender for the GPL because, as you can read in
my previous posts, I don't really believe in it.

--
mph