python speed

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Nov 30 16:41:43 EST 2005

Isaac Gouy wrote:
> Peter Hansen wrote:
>>Judging by the other posts in this thread, the gauntlet is down: Python
>>is faster than Java.  Let those who believe otherwise prove their point
>>with facts, and without artificially handcuffing their opponents with
>>non-real-world "purity" requirements.

> That form of argument is listed as one of the principal forms of
> illogical thinking in "Being Logical" D.Q.McInerny - "An Inability to
> Disprove Does Not Prove"

Good thing this is the form of argument *against* which I was arguing,
rather than that which I choose to use myself.  (Read very carefully, if
you really think I was saying otherwise, and point out exactly where I
made any such claims for my own part.  In fact, I was referencing the
arguments of others -- who *were* supporting their arguments with facts,
as near as I can tell -- and I was calling on the opposition to do the
same, and without changing the rules mid-discussion.)

> "The fact that there is no concrete proof against a position does not
> constitute an argument in favour of the position. I cannot claim to be
> right simply because you can't prove me to be wrong."

Isn't that what I was saying?  That those who claim Python isn't faster
were not supporting their arguments with actual facts?

-Peter