weird problem with os.chmod

Gary Herron gherron at islandtraining.com
Fri Nov 11 20:21:12 EST 2005

James Colannino wrote:

>>So then I entered the command print 0600, and saw that the
>>actual number being output was 384 (why would it output 384?!)
>>

>Ok, so further research revealed that 0600 is actually the octal
>representation for 384 (which makes sense.)  So then, I guess my
>question would have to be, is there a way for me to make Python aware
>that the 0600 I'm passing to int() is octal and not decimal so that I
>will get 384 instead of 600?

int('0600',8) will do, but why would you want to do that?

Any of
x = 0600
x = 384
x = 0x180
x = int('0600',8)
will bind x to the same value (110000000 in binary if you care).

But once you've got the valued defined, through whatever human readable
representation you want, the command
chmod(filename, x)
can be issued without further thought.