Underscores in Python numbers

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Nov 20 14:52:17 EST 2005

bonono at gmail.com wrote:
> Peter Hansen wrote:
>
>>But why would anyone want to create numeric literals for credit card
>>numbers?
>>
> May be for space saving ? But storage space being so cheap, this is not
> a very good reason, but still a reason.

Space saving where?  Why would you have any credit card numbers stored
in any application?  Even a credit card company isn't going to write
code that has the numbers stored as *literals*!

There's only one place I can think of right now where you might want
that: in automated tests for code that processes credit card numbers.
And you definitely do not need to "save space" in that situation...

-Peter