Installing tkinter with Python 2.4.2 on FC4

Paul Watson pwatson at redlinepy.com
Mon Nov 14 23:43:09 EST 2005

Paul Watson wrote:
> I cannot yet get tkinter working on 2.4.2.  I have installed the tk rpms
>  from FC4.  I have checked to see that TKPATH is available in
> Modules/Setup.
>
> How can I verify that I have tcl/tk installed correctly and it is the
> correct version (8+)?

Surely, there must be a better way to do this than what I ended up
doing.  Please respond so that someone will do better than I did.

To get this to work, I whacked the ./Modules/Setup file references to tk
things.  Two lines were changed from /usr/local/* to /usr/*.  The X11
lines were simply uncommented.

I had to install a few more RPMs from the FC4 CDs for tk and tcl.  That
led to installing some more xorg-x11 RPMs.

After that, ./configure; make clean; make; make test;

# *** Always uncomment this (leave the leading underscore in!):
_tkinter _tkinter.c tkappinit.c -DWITH_APPINIT \
# *** Uncomment and edit to reflect where your Tcl/Tk libraries are:
#   -L/usr/local/lib \
     -L/usr/lib \
# *** Uncomment and edit to reflect where your Tcl/Tk headers are:
#   -I/usr/local/include \
     -I/usr/include \
# *** Uncomment and edit to reflect where your X11 header files are:
     -I/usr/X11R6/include \
# *** Or uncomment this for Solaris:
#   -I/usr/openwin/include \
# *** Uncomment and edit for Tix extension only:
#   -DWITH_TIX -ltix8.1.8.2 \
# *** Uncomment and edit for BLT extension only:
#   -DWITH_BLT -I/usr/local/blt/blt8.0-unoff/include -lBLT8.0 \
# *** Uncomment and edit for PIL (TkImaging) extension only:
#     (See http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/ for more info)
#   -DWITH_PIL -I../Extensions/Imaging/libImaging  tkImaging.c \
# *** Uncomment and edit for TOGL extension only:
#   -DWITH_TOGL togl.c \
# *** Uncomment and edit to reflect your Tcl/Tk versions:
#   -ltk8.2 -ltcl8.2 \
     -ltk8.4 -ltcl8.4 \
# *** Uncomment and edit to reflect where your X11 libraries are:
     -L/usr/X11R6/lib \
# *** Or uncomment this for Solaris:
#   -L/usr/openwin/lib \
# *** Uncomment these for TOGL extension only:
#   -lGL -lGLU -lXext -lXmu \
# *** Uncomment for AIX:
#   -lld \
# *** Always uncomment this; X11 libraries to link with:
     -lX11