Python obfuscation

Ben Sizer kylotan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 04:37:06 EST 2005

Mike Meyer wrote:
> "Ben Sizer" <kylotan at gmail.com> writes:
> > In my
> > case, providing a free download of any lost executables or data upon
> > presentation of a legitimate license key should be adequate.
>
> My special handling for such
> things - and *especially* for entertainment software, where the media
> gets handled by children - is "Return that POS."

That's funny, I could have sworn that a few messages above you
suggested I "Try Alex's solution, and put the data on a network server
that goes through whatever authentication you want it to."

Are you claiming therefore that it's more acceptable to you to have to
access the data remotely every time you use the software than once per
install?

> Worse yet, you play
> semantic games so you can claim not to be violating fair use rights in
> the process.

No, I am just pointing out that you are mixing up the concept of an
actual 'right' such as one embodied in a state's constitution, with an
implied 'right' that is just an exemption from committing an offence.
The term 'right' does not even appear in the relevant part of US
copyright law, except to state that it is a limitation on the copyright
holder's rights.

--
Ben Sizer.