Python doc problem example: gzip module (reprise)

Paul Rubin http
Sat Nov 5 20:12:12 EST 2005

Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> writes:
> The thing is, the library documentation that Xah Lee is complaining
> about is a *reference document*. It says so right in the title:
> "Python Library Reference". As such, it makes lousy tutorial
> documentation.

I'm not sure which particular library Xah Lee was complaining about
but lots of the lib docs are awful even as references.

> The Python Cookbook should show up a lot in this search. If other
> people are providing tutorial documentation, then it's not at clear
> that the PSF should be duplicating that effort.

It seems to me that since the PSF is so persnickety about code
licenses (and that is a good thing), it should be persnickety about
documentation licenses too.  Lots of FSF documentation projects were
undertaken because while there were good docs in existence for
whatever it was, there were none that the FSF could include in its
distros.  It's similarly not so great if Python users have to rely on
proprietary docs.  Of course the PSF has to prioritize its tasks and
some things will necessarily stay far down on the "list" for quite a
while, but they should at least BE on the list.