Is Python worth it??

Paul Watson pwatson at redlinepy.com
Tue Nov 15 11:10:12 EST 2005

Simon Brunning wrote:
> On 14/11/05, john boy <xray_alpha_charlie at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I have started out trying to learn Python for my first programming language.
>> I am starting off with the book "how to think like a computer scientist."
>>I spend about 4-5 hrs a day trying to learn this stuff.  It is certainly no
>>easy task.  I've been at it for about 1-2 weeks now and have a very
>>elementary picture of how Python works.  I am teaching myself from home and
>>only recieve help from this forum.  Can anybody give me a timeframe as to
>>how long it usually takes to pick something like this up, so I can maybe
>>figure out a way to pace myself?  I can dedicate a good amount of time to it
>>everyday.  Any advice on what is the best way to learn Python?  I am a
>>fairly educated individual with a natural sciences degree (forestry), so I
>>also have a decent math background.  Are there any constraints
>>mathematically or logic "wise" that would prevent me from building a firm
>>grasp of this language?
>

> Keep at it.
>
> Everyone is different, so don't worry about how long it takes you vs.
> how long others might take. If you have no programming background,
> there's a lot to learn. Using Python is a good choice, I think, 'cos
> it gets a lot of extranious crud that many other languages insist on
> out of your way, but there's still a lot to learn.
>
> The best way to learn? Go through the tutorials - but if you get an
> idea for a mini-project of your own, don't be afraid to dive off and
> give it a go. Try to solve you own problems for a while, 'cos that's a
> valuable skill, but don't get to the point of frustration. Ask for
> help here or on the tutor mailing list[1].
>
> And have fun.

> --
> Cheers,
> Simon B,
> simon at brunningonline.net,
> http://www.brunningonline.net/simon/blog/

Python is a great choice for a first language.  I agree with the
tutorial recommendations of others.

I would suggest that you focus on getting out of it what you want out of
it.  Get some data about rainfall and correlate it with regional fires,
economic output, or religious practices.  That will get you reading
data, calculating, and writing output.

Read more code than you write.  Download the Python sources and
unpackage them on your machine.  You do not have to build the
executable.  Lot's of the Python library functions are written in
Python.  Try to explain what the code is doing.  If you do not yet
understand (after applying due diligence and using Google), then ask
questions.  Questions are good.  Questions are our friend.

Write as much code as you can.  Get comfortable with a debugger where
you can watch the action happen.

There are many fundamental computer concepts such as memory, storage,
persistence, threading, and all that.  Do not worry about understanding
these in the first few weeks.  Focus on getting out of it something that
you want.  Understanding the concepts will come to you as you are a
practitioner.