Web automation

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed Nov 9 13:02:03 EST 2005

qwwee... at yahoo.it wrote:
> While I was posting the reply to Mike I saw the last
> contribution of Paul Boddie.
>
> From what he says I infer that he is a Windows programmer

Far from it! OutlookExplorer was written as an experiment when I had to
use Windows in a corporate environment. I don't run Windows at all on
my own hardware, and I even assembled my own Linux-compatible machine
in order to (a) not pay the Windows tax and (b) get open enough
hardware for which Linux drivers exist.

Rant: instead of quietly grumbling and installing Linux over Windows on
newly purchased hardware, and then grumbling some more about incomplete
device support, I'd advise both individuals and businesses to tell
vendors where they can shove their bundled Windows licences and special
agreements with Microsoft. Installing Linux after the fact does little
to enlighten the average vendor - to them you're still running Windows,
loving it, and presumably willing to buy the whole package from them
again in future. Rant over!

> (OutlookExplorer).
> In Windows I have no problems (a part security) to program
> "dirty" automation scripts!
> But I have a doubt... how my Windows theory accords
> with DCOP and KDE?

DCOP is mostly equivalent to COM for automation purposes. Whilst there
are command line tools (dcop) and simple graphical tools (kdcop) for
accessing the interfaces exposed by applications, you might want to
consider PyKDE and its own DCOP support. What I've just added to
qtxmldom is support for DCOP-based access to DOM documents in
Konqueror, although the installation of the different components is
still a bit awkward: PyKDE needs a patch, for example.

Paul