General question about Python design goals

Christoph Zwerschke cito at online.de
Mon Nov 28 17:08:49 EST 2005

Fredrik Lundh schrieb:
> Christoph Zwerschke wrote:
>>But the problem is that the tutorials and manuals give the impression
>>that the difference between lists and tuples is only mutablity versus
>>immutability.
>
> both the tutorial and the FAQ discusses the difference in terms of use
> cases and recommended usage.

The tutorial does not speak about differences other than mutability. But
you're right, the C structs analogy is mentioned in the FAQ.

>>Maybe I am I lacking the satori of a real Python Zen master?
>
> I suggest you look up the phrase "bike shed effect".  next, go read some
> recent PEP:s to see what's really going on in the Python design universe.

The bike shed effect is a good explanation and so true. About 8 years
ago when I started to work at my current working place at the university
I suggested that a bike shed should be provided for people like me.
Since then, a lot of million euro projects have been carried out, like
introducing SAP software and new projects are in progress. But my bike
still is getting wet and anyway, it's still bothering me.

-- Christoph