readline vi mode in python interactive shell

tnoell at gmail.com tnoell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 15:04:11 EST 2005

Hi comp.lang.python:
New to the group and new to python, so don't tear me up too much ...
I installed the GNU readline support in python2.4, and it is working,
but there is one annoying behaviour that I am hoping to squash ...

Namely, when I hit <esc> to go to edit mode, then hit 'k' to go up in
the command history,
the prompt is put at the start of the line.

Other places I use vi mode command line editing (e.g., zsh),  the
cursor is at the end of the previous command.

More often than not, I am wanting to edit the latter part of the
previous command, not the start.

Is there any way to tell readline to put the cursor at the end of the
command line when browsing them?

Thx for any light you can shinte,
Tim