PyFLTK - an underrated gem for GUI projects

aum aum at spam.me.please
Mon Nov 7 01:51:39 EST 2005

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 21:23:03 -0800, Roger Binns wrote:

>> To me, wxPython is like a 12-cylinder Hummer, with fuzzy dice hanging
>> from the mirror, fridge and microwave in the back, and DVD consoles on
>> every seat, towing a campervan - absolute power and luxury, giving 8mpg
>> if you're lucky.
>
> A word of support for wxPython:

Most right you are, Roger. wx is a 5-star GUI library.
When advanced GUI features are needed, wx, gtk2 or qt are definitely the
way to go.

What I'm saying is that there are many basic projects being written for
these toolkits, whose functionality could be completely supported by
PyFLTK. When only a smaller set of widgets is needed, there's a stronger
case for using lighter widget libraries - especially FLTK, because you'll
get way more functionality per line of code, and finish your project
faster, than if using the bigger toolkits with their application-level red
tape - the extra lines of code you have to write to get things done.

If travelling off-road for a few weeks and driving over minefields in
enemy territory, take the Hummer. But for ordinary use, like commuting to
work, visiting friends, shopping etc, using anything more than the Honda
4-cylinder sedan is IMHO a waste of resources.

Similarly, coding something in wx when FLTK will suffice is a waste of
time, effort, disk space, CPU cycles and memory.

--
Cheers
aum