Which License Should I Use?

Jorgen Grahn grahn+nntp at snipabacken.dyndns.org
Sat Nov 26 15:24:33 EST 2005

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 00:13:10 +0000, Tom Anderson <twic at urchin.earth.li> wrote:
> freedom - 'free software', 'free as in speech', etc. What you have to
> realise is that they're not talking about the freedom of the programmers,
> but about the freedom of the software. The logic, i think, is that the
> freedom of the code is the key to the freedom of the end-users: applying
> the GPL to your code means that other programmers will be forced to apply
> to to their code, which means that users of that code will get the
> benefits of open source.

... which implies that one believes that every end-user has the potential to
become a hacker. That, I think, is at the core of the GPL, and RMS's
rantings are easier to understand if you keep that in mind.

But yes, let's not dive too deeply into all that here.

> Oops!
;-)

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@        Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/     snipabacken.dyndns.org>  R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!