Learning multiple languages (question for general discussion)

Magnus Lycka lycka at carmen.se
Fri Nov 4 05:58:50 EST 2005

Alex Martelli wrote:
> Yes, but I haven't found knowing (and using) Python dampens my
> enthusiasms for learning new languages.

But you're more enthusiatic than most of us Alex. I wish
I could say the same, but I must admit that I only did
halfhearted attempts at learning new languages after Python.
I've looked a bit at most of the ones you mentioned, but
there was nothing that gave me the drive to really follow
it through. I've somehow become content in this regard.

This doesn't mean that I'm not evolving. I regularly program
in three languages (Python, C++ and SQL) and I must learn
new things the whole time to keep interested, whether it's
in the current problem domain, in architectural matters, in
regards to libraries or development tools or whatever. Now
it's Twisted for instance. Still, finding Python was a lot
like finding a permanent home (which doesn't exclude various
excursions, or prevent another move or two in this life.)