ANN: P(x) 0.2 applet builder

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Thu Nov 10 14:53:45 EST 2005

Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> writes:
> LB wrote:
>>>The tarball can be found at <URL:
>>>http://www.mired.org/downloads/P(x)-0.2.tar.gz >.
>> Something doesn't work with the link.
>> LB
>>
> Copy the whole string up to and including the ".gz" at the end and
> paste that into your browser's location window.
>
> I think it's a bit ill-advised to use parens in a URL, and if you do
> then they shoud really be represented as %xx escapes.

I wouldn't have expected parens to be a problem in a URL - they aren't
magic characters in URLs. I expected some problems in dealing with it
in a shell, but not on the web. Because of that, I looked for - but
didn't find - an option in distutils to specify a name for the
tarball.  I finally decided not to fight distutils, and went with the
name it wanted to use.

Since following standards is optional on the web, at least if things
work in the most popular browser of the day, I probably should have
seen this coming.

The URL with the ()'s pre-escaped is:

I expected mail/news readers to encode the URL. Some will probably do
that with this one, resulting in (another) broken link.

     <mike